Wednesday, May 23, 2012

Book: City of Ember

I have read several books this week and I really liked them all, so it was hard which one to choose. However, for this post I chose to write about the book that was the most interesting: City of Ember by Jeanne DuPrau. This book’s genre is fantasy and mystery, I think, though I am not entirely sure. This is the first book of a series. The second is The People of Sparks, the third is the The Prophet of Yonwood and the final, fourth book is the The Diamond of Darkhold. I have only read the first book, but I will definitely go and pick the other books up.


This story takes place in an underground world named the City of Ember. Since the city is underground, there is no natural sunlight. The lights are made by a huge machine. Since the machine is getting old, the lights flicker on and off. As the city is running low on materials in the storerooms and the lights began to fail, two teenagers, Lina and Doon started finding a way out of the Ember.

I give this book an 9/10 because I love how the story is based on a city called Ember and which is underground. I really liked the author’s imagination of an underground world, with people living there. I think it is kind of disgusting, but in the same time, it is very new. It is disgusting for me because, it is underground. It could be dirty and looks really uncomfortable living in a world without sunlight.


I loved all the characters that appeared in the book. Different characters with different personalities and how the characters developed. Although I really liked the book, and especially the characters and the setting, I would have made book, not a series. I like when readers begin thinking about what it is going to happen. Since this book is a series, if the first book doesn’t continue, then you can on to the next book and find out. I would have just made one book with no answer so that the readers can find out on their own. I would have just made it just one, whole book with everything in it.

1 comment: